100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish-Alt, Scottish
Where did the Irish Morrison family come from? What is the Irish Morrison family crest and coat of arms? When did the Morrison family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Morrison family history?The surname Morrison and its variants are phonetic interpretations of the Irish name O Muirgheasain. Over time, many of this name became known by the name Morrison; however the modern translation this Gaelic name is generally Bryson, and sometimes in County Mayo, Price. There is also an English surname Bryson, and no doubt some of them have emigrated to Ireland over the centuries.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bryson, Briceson, Mrieson, O'Mrisane, O'Morison, Morison and many more.
First found in Ulster, in Counties Donegal and Derry, where it was first documented as Mrieson and other similar variants in the 17th century. O'Morison was listed in 1606 in County Donegal, as well as O'Mrisane in 1659, which was considered a principal name of the county by the census of that year. In the Diocese of Derry, Bishop Montgomery called the erenagh of Clonmany in Inishowen, Donatus O'Morison.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morrison research. Another 330 words(24 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morrison History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morrison Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Morrison Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Morrison, who landed in Virginia in 1648
- Francis Morrison settled in Virginia in 1650
- Donald Morrison, who landed in New Jersey in 1685
Morrison Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Hannah Morrison, who landed in North Carolina in 1701
- Jane Morrison, who landed in New England in 1738
- Charles Morrison, who landed in Virginia in 1760
- Darby Morrison, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
- Daniel Morrison who settled in Boston in 1767
Morrison Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Morrison, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1804
- Daniel Morrison, aged 33, arrived in New York in 1804
- John Morrison, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807
- Martha Morrison, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1811
- Elizabeth Morrison, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1811
- Marion Michael Morrison (1907-1979), Academy Award-winning American film actor better known as John Wayne
- James Douglas "Jim" Morrison (1943-1971), American poet, singer, member of rock band "the Doors"
- Jeanette Helen Morrison (1927-2004), original name of Janet Leigh, Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning American actress, probably best known for her role in Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho"
- Toni Chloe Anthony Morrison (b. 1931), American author and one of the most prominent authors in world literature, having won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1988 for her novel "Beloved" and the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1993 for her collected works
- John H. Morrison (b. 1933), former President of the Association of American Rhodes Scholars
- Dan "Danny" Morrison (b. 1974), American wrestler
- George Ivan "Van" Morrison OBE (b. 1945), Northern Irish rock singer, winner of six Grammy Awards, and was inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame
- George Pitt Morrison (1861-1946), Australian painter and engraver
- MacAulay Morrison (1863-1942), Canadian lawyer, politician, appointed a judge of the British Columbia Supreme Court in 1904
- William Shepherd Morrison (1893-1961), Viscount Dunrossil, British politician, speaker of British House of Commons (1951-1959) and Governor-general of Australia (1959-1961)
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Morrison Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Morrison Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 May 2013 at 09:34.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!