100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian, Scottish, Swedish
Where did the German Nielsen family come from? What is the German Nielsen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nielsen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nielsen family history?The Nielsen surname is a patronymic name created from the personal name Niels.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nielsen, Nielsenn, Nielssen, Stiernfeld, Stiernfeldd and many more.
First found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nielsen research. Another 228 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1453 and 1455 are included under the topic Early Nielsen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nielsen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jonas Nielsen, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Lorenz Nielsen, who arrived in New York, NY in 1754
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- N Nielsen, aged 12, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Neils Tobias Nielsen, aged 7, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Oele Nielsen, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- P Nielsen, aged 5, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Enig Nielsen, age 9, who arrived in New York in 1837
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Niels Christian Nielsen, who arrived in Colorado in 1906
- Halger Dines Harald Nielsen, who arrived in Alabama in 1925
- Alice Nielsen (1870-1943), American Broadway performer and operatic soprano
- Arthur Charles Nielsen Sr. (1897-1980), American market analyst, founder of ACNielsen company in 1923
- Dr. Jerri Lin Nielsen (1952-2009), American physician, Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station doctor in 1998
- Asta Sofie Amalie Nielsen (1881-1972), Danish actress
- Holger Bech Nielsen (b. 1941), Danish theoretical physicist, professor at the University of Copenhagen
- Jakob Nielsen (1890-1959), Danish mathematician
- Carl August Nielsen (1865-1931), Danish composer
- Leslie William Nielsen OC (1926-2010), Canadian ACTRA Award winning, Gemini Award nominated, two-time Primetime Emmy Award-nominated comedian and actor who appeared in 242 features, probably best remembered for his roles in Airplane, and the Naked Gun series of films
- Connie Inge-Lise Nielsen (b. 1965), Danish actress
- Anders Peter Nielsen (1867-1950), Danish gold and three-time silver medalist shooter
- Descendants of Hans Jorgen Thomsen and Ane Kjerstine Ditlevsen of Kjes, Denmark by Frances Hansen Ehrig.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Nielsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nielsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 March 2013 at 13:45.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!