100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2013
Origins Available: Danish, German, Norwegian, Scottish, Swedish
Where did the Swedish Nielsen family come from? What is the Swedish Nielsen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nielsen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nielsen family history?The origin of the distinguished Nielsen family can be traced to the historic Scandinavian country of Sweden. The surname Nielsen is derived from the Scandianavian personal name Njáll. This name is in turn derived from the Gaelic name Niall, which was adopted by Scandinavian settlers in Ireland. Over time, the forms Niels and Nils developed. The suffix -sson and its variants are translatable as son of.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 18th Century
- Jonas Nielsen, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
- Lorenz Nielsen, who arrived in New York, NY in 1754
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 19th Century
- N Nielsen, aged 12, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Neils Tobias Nielsen, aged 7, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Oele Nielsen, aged 13, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- P Nielsen, aged 5, landed in New York, NY in 1837
- Enig Nielsen, age 9, who arrived in New York in 1837
Nielsen Settlers in the United States in the 20th Century
- Niels Christian Nielsen, who arrived in Colorado in 1906
- Halger Dines Harald Nielsen, who arrived in Alabama in 1925
- Alice Nielsen (1870-1943), American Broadway performer and operatic soprano
- Arthur Charles Nielsen Sr. (1897-1980), American market analyst, founder of ACNielsen company in 1923
- Dr. Jerri Lin Nielsen (1952-2009), American physician, Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station doctor in 1998
- Asta Sofie Amalie Nielsen (1881-1972), Danish actress
- Holger Bech Nielsen (b. 1941), Danish theoretical physicist, professor at the University of Copenhagen
- Jakob Nielsen (1890-1959), Danish mathematician
- Carl August Nielsen (1865-1931), Danish composer
- Leslie William Nielsen OC (1926-2010), Canadian ACTRA Award winning, Gemini Award nominated, two-time Primetime Emmy Award-nominated comedian and actor who appeared in 242 features, probably best remembered for his roles in Airplane, and the Naked Gun series of films
- Connie Inge-Lise Nielsen (b. 1965), Danish actress
- Anders Peter Nielsen (1867-1950), Danish gold and three-time silver medalist shooter
- Descendants of Hans Jorgen Thomsen and Ane Kjerstine Ditlevsen of Kjes, Denmark by Frances Hansen Ehrig.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
The Nielsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nielsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 June 2012 at 12:58.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!